phonemes in affixes

Paul J Hopper ph1u at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Wed Apr 16 17:13:06 UTC 2003

Dear Joan,

I think the first to propose this was Roman Jakobson, who noted the
tendency in English and Russian. The reference is: "Quest for the essence
of language," Diogenes 51.21-37, esp. page 29. See also some discussion
in my paper on "Phonogenesis" (W. Pagliuca, ed., Perspectives on
Grammaticalization), where Jakobson is credited with this point.

Paul