singular for plural

Edith A Moravcsik edith at CSD.UWM.EDU
Thu Apr 17 23:58:06 UTC 2003

I have been frequently struck by English speakers using the first person
singular pronoun when they mean themselves and their families; such as
"Last year I went to Spain for a vacation." (when the whole family went)
or "I have a beautiful house." (in reference to the family residence). I
have noticed this only in male speech so far and not outside the US.

Edith Moravcsik

----- Original Message -----
From: Suzanne Kemmer <kemmer at RICE.EDU>
To: <LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: Summary: number in personal pronouns

Even the most reasonable functional features are not always
perfectly general.

I have always wondered why, in 19th century British fiction,
one sibling speaking to another will regularly refer to "my father"
or "my mother" (in cases where they
both have the same set of parents, and are not
step-siblings).  Same with cousins, who refer in talking
to each other to "my aunt"
and "my uncle" even though both interlocutors have the
same relationship to the person spoken of.
It certainly sounds odd from the standpoint of
my own intuitions. It sounds to modern ears like the speaker wants to
exclude the sibling/cousin they are talking to from the
relationship. But there is nothing in the context
to suggest this; it seems to have been a normal
mode of reference.

Suzanne