Gideon Goldenberg msgidgol at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Fri Apr 18 16:41:17 UTC 2003

Dear typologists,
Well, "teknonymy", or whatever we call it, is the usual way of
referring to a man or a woman in the Arab and Moslem world. All
that, however, like the pronominal "formes de politesse" or "demi-
politesse" do not really belong to linguistic types but rather
to social life of the speakers. Moving to another social milieu
may change the habit of speakers without changing their language.
Variation within speakers of the same language may be found similar
to that between different languages. Differences in social behaviour
might be regarded as interesting not less than linguistic typology, &
familiarity with social structure is needed for well understanding
a language, but after all the boundaries between different uses
as here discussed often do not coincide with the boundaries between
languages. The structure of pronominal systems is another matter,
and will be found to be of great linguistic interest.
                                          Yours, Gideon Goldenberg