iteratives

Zygmunt Frajzyngier Zygmunt.Frajzyngier at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Aug 18 12:38:45 UTC 2003

Quoting nbvint at NESSIE.MCC.AC.UK:

For a similar category in one of the languages I have been working on, I have
been using the term 'do again', to distinguish the category from iterative and
verbal plurality.

Zygmunt Frajzyngier

> I'm posting this query on behalf of my colleague Mair Parry at the
> University of Bristol and I'd be grateful if any replies could be
> copied to her (m.m.parry at bristol.ac.uk) since she is not a member of
> this list. The query arose because in a paper she gave at the recent
> Historical Linguistics conference in Copenhagen she referred to
> constructions which convey the meaning 'do something and do it again'
> as  iterative. The point was made in discussion that iteratives
> typically allow for several repetitions of an action, and thus the
> question arose as to what is the appropriate term (if any) for a
> construction which refers to an action being done and then repeated
> on one occasion only. Any terminological suggestions or references to
> discussion of this issue in the literature would be welcome. Thank
> you.
>
> --
> Professor Nigel Vincent
> Department of Linguistics