re-

Richard Valovics ricsi at MAIL1.STOFANET.DK
Mon Aug 18 13:09:59 UTC 2003

The Danish gen- prefix is very similar to the English re-, both in
meaning and in combinatorial behaviour. It is productive, yet
restricted. It's not quite clear (to me) what the rules governing its
use are. It can be combined with transitive verbs (genopbygge =
rebuild) and also with intransitive ones (genopstå = resurrect, lit.
reupstand), but not with all (*gengå = rego). Yet, nouns derived
from intransitive verbs that do not combine with gen- can combine
with it: genganger = regoer, e.g. a person who attends a course
repeatedly.
As default, gen- is interpreted as denoting a single repetition, but it
can readily combine with adverbs denoting several repetitions.

Speaking about Hungarian, Hungarian too has suffixes that are
often labelled as iterative. However, they do not usually express an
action being repeated, rather an action that is split up in several
(identical) subactions. E.g. eszik means to eat, eszeget does not
mean to eat several times, it rather envisages a person that takes
a bite of food repeatedly with some time elapsing between the
bites. Often such iterative verbs convey the idea that the action is
not fulfilled, e.g. the food is not consumed fully.

Richard Valovics

Richard Valovics
Department of Scandinavian Studies
University of Aarhus