inflected postpositions

Stephen Matthews matthews at HKUCC.HKU.HK
Mon Dec 15 10:45:20 UTC 2003

Dear all,
It may be of interest to point out that inflected postpositions represent a
head-marking pattern in the sense of Nichols (1986, 1992 etc). In German,
postpositions govern a certain case, which is indicated by the case
inflection of the governed NP:

mir gegenüber
me-DAT opposite

The PP is therefore dependent-marked. The corresponding Hungarian PP is
head-marked as the same grammatical relation is marked on the head P:

alatt-am
under-1sg

What makes this interesting is that head-marking patterns often seem to go
together, though the explanation may be relatively 'shallow', e.g. in
Hungarian, it is esentially the same set of person agreement affixes which
reappears in a number of configurations including possessive NPs, object
agreement on transitive verbs, and agreement on postpositions. Indeed,
Rounds (2001: 158) actually describes the inflected postposition by noting
that "postpositions may also add possessive suffixes". Richard Valovics
also mentions an archaic pattern with both case-marking and agreement:

Péter-nek alatt-a.
Peter-DAT under-3sg
'under Peter'

In terms of Nichols' typology this is a double-marked pattern, again (as
Richard notes) parallel to the possessive construction as in:

Péter-nek a láb-a.
Peter-DET the foot-3sg
'Peter's foot'

Another property which may be relevant to Mexico is that head-marking is a
highly areal charactisteristic. In Meso-America, Nichols (1992: 71) shows 7
languages in which PP is head-marking vs. 0 in which it is dependent-marking.

Nichols, Johanna. 1992. Linguistic Diversity in Time and Space. Chicago
University Press.
Rounds, Carol. 2001. Hungarian: An Essential Grammar. Routledge.

Stephen Matthews
Linguistics Department
University of Hong Kong