Extraposed relative clauses

Richard Valovics ricsi at MAIL1.STOFANET.DK
Mon Jun 16 21:59:34 UTC 2003

Hungarian certainly allows extraposed RCs to the right even with
an intervening NP:

János azt a könyvet tette az asztalra, amelyiket Anna tegnap vette.
John that the book laid the table-on, that Anna yesterday bought.
John laid the book that Anna had bought yesterday on the table.

In such a case, the demonstrativ pronoun indicates which NP the
RC belongs to. Right extraposed RCs are quite usual in Hungarian.
I believe also left extraposed RCs to be grammatical, I doubt,
however, that they can be considered any usual:

Amelyiket Anna tegnap vette, azt a könyvet tette János az asztalra.
Best regards