times of the day

Edith A Moravcsik edith at CSD.UWM.EDU
Tue Mar 18 17:06:17 UTC 2003

On February 19, I posted a request for crosslinguistic data on expressions
for times of the day (such as morning, noon, etc.). I would like to
express my gratitude to all of you who have responded:

Alexandra Aikhenvald
Bernard Comrie
Dan Everett
Martin Haspelmath
Suzanne Kemmer
Colin Masica
Helle Metslang
Steve Nicolle
Evan Norris
Frans Plank
Kameshwa Wali
Jeroen Wiedenhof

>From your responses, a list of relevant books and articles has emerged as
well as a rich database with information about times-of-the-day
expressions in the following 20 languages:

Digo
English dialects
Estonian
Fanti
French
Fuliiru
German
Japanese
Kashmiri
Kobon
Korean
Manambu
Mandarin
Navaho
Piraha
Portuguese (spoken in the area of Tariana)
Pulaar (closely related to Fulani)
Tariana
Thai
Vietnamese

I requested the information for Ms. Ellen Clipsham, a graduate student at
this university, who is writing a term paper on the topic (she is not
a member of ALT and thus had no direct access to the list). Once her paper
is completed, she will send it attached to all of you who have contributed
information. If anybody else would like to receive her paper, please send
your request to her address:

     clipsham at uwm.edu

Thank you again! Edith Moravcsik

			 Edith A. Moravcsik
			 Department of Foreign Languages and Linguistics
			 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
		         Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
                         USA

			 E-mail: edith at uwm.edu