case and number in pronouns

Chirkova, K. K.Chirkova at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Wed Mar 26 09:49:40 UTC 2003

Dear Henning,

>Does anyone know of comparable usages of personal pronouns in other
>languages, i.e. where inclusive, exclusive or plural pronouns can have
>singular reference when they are used as modifiers?

In Peking Mandarin (and in Mandarin in general), it is very standard to use
both the inclusive (_zan2_, _za2men_) and the exclusive (_wo3men_) plural
first person pronouns for singular reference. For instance, when speaking
about family members, e.g. _wo3men lao3 tai4tai_ 'our/my old mother', or
when referring to the speaker himself, e.g. _zan2 qiong2._ 'I am poor.'.

Note also that honorific forms for second and third person pronoun in Peking
Mandarin, _nin2_ 'you' and _tan1_ 'he', are derived from plural second and
third personal pronouns _ni3men_ and _ta1men_ respectively. One can also use
the plural second person pronoun _ni3men_ when referring to the listener,
just like in your example from Southern Min.

Finally, the inclusive plural first person pronoun _zan2_, _za2men_ can be
used when addressing the listener(s) (in the meaning 'you'). For this usage
see Yuen Ren Chao, _A grammar of spoken Chinese_ (1968: 638). The same usage
is common in Russian, e.g. a doctor addressing his patient _Kak nashi dela?_
'How is it going (with you)?', literally 'How are our matters?'

The usage of the possessive pronoun _our_ with names of family members in
non-standard varieties of English, noted by Bernard Comrie, reminds me of a
similar use of the possessive pronoun _onze_ 'our' in Brabant Dutch. When
speaking about family members (parents, siblings, children), one tends to
add "onze" 'our', e.g. "onze Martijn" 'our Martijn'.

Katia Chirkova

Katia Chirkova
Leiden University
Research School CNWS