Pronouns: temporal paradigms

Paul J Hopper ph1u at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Wed Mar 26 15:19:56 UTC 2003

An interesting paradigm. In a very defective way, Indonesian has an
adverb/demonstrative tadi that can be used to refer to something just
mentioned or from the recent (?) past. I've often been struck with the use
of the English past tense in expressions like "Was this my plate?" (i.e.
the one you intended me to have.)
- Paul

Paul Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of the Humanities
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Tel. (412)-683-1109
Fax (412)-268-7989