Pronouns: temporal paradigms

Dan Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Thu Mar 27 16:52:59 UTC 2003

Muchas gracias, Pablo. Very much appreciated.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hopper [mailto:ph1u at andrew.cmu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 4:40 PM
To: Dan Everett
Cc: Discussion List for ALT
Subject: Re: Pronouns: temporal paradigms

Re. Dan's remark about conjugated nouns in Guarani, I got the following
forms from an article by Claude Boisson:

Claude Boisson et al., "Problématiques des parties du discours" in Louis
Basset & M  Pérennec, eds, 1994. Les classes du mot: traditions et
perspectives. Lyon: Presses Universitaires, p. 32

I have no first-hand knowledge of the language, and didn't note
Boisson's own source, so "caveat emptor":

peru rembireko
Pedro wife
"Pedro's wife"

peru rembireko-kue
Pedro wife-PRET1 (= recent past?}
"Pedro's ex-wife"

peru rembireko-re
Pedro wife-PRET2 (= remote past?)
"Pedro's widow"

peru rembireko-ne
Pedro wife-HYPOTH.
"the one who might be Pedro's wife" (celle qui pourrait être l'épouse de
Pedro)

peru rembireko-ta
Pedro wife-IMMIN.
"Pedro's fiancée"

The suffixes are identical to those on verbs, e.g.:

o-ky-ta	 (cf. Peru rembireko-ta  "Pedro's fiancée")
3-rain-IMMIN
"about to rain"

o-ky-ne (cf. Peru rembireko-ne "The one who might be Pedro's wife")
3-rain-HYPOTH "might rain"

- Paul

Paul Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of the Humanities
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Telephone (412) 268-7174
Fax (412) 268-7989