Call for Debate: Reproducibility in Typology

Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Sun Aug 29 20:21:17 UTC 2004

Dear Frans,
thanks for your thought provoking lines.
I must confess that I have some problems in imagining what could be
'reproduced' in typology. I (think to) understand what Larry Hyman
(Aug.24th)  means by 'replication' of a research done by another set of
researchers with the same language sample. But 'replication' is not
'reproduction'. You may repeat/replicate a  chemical experiment in a lab and
obtain/reproduce the results of the previous experiment. But in the human
sciences this is not possible: even the best historian can't repeat
Waterloo's battle --and even in economics you may not repeat the NYSE
results of the week; you may 'simulate' them and, accordingly. make
forecasts for the stock exchange of the next week. No economist bothers
whether economics is a science or not: he/she simply does his/her job in
economical matters.
Why should typologists warry about the dilemma 'is linguistic typology a
science or not'? Moreover, the alternative is not, in my opinion, between
'science' and 'art': theere are different kinds of science along a gradient
of  'reproduceability' (as Edith has the word). Linguistic typology (a
science which is at the border of the human sciences) can hardly reproduce
claims, unless by 'reproduce' we mean 'make previsions' with more than
chance probability.
Take as a linguistic example the following phonetic evolution: PIE /p/ >
Engl. /f/ as in "father, foot, fish" etc. Finding a word like "five" one is
legitimate to guess that f- goes back to PIE p-. But this does not apply to
"finish, favour" etc. because these words were borrowed from French. The
non-reproducibility of the rule "PIE /p/ > Engl. /f/" is not detrimental to
the above 'Lautgesetz', which operates with more than chance probability. I
think the same holds in typological studies:  Greenberg's generalization
that with more than chance frequency SOV languages are postpositional cannot
be 'reproduced'/'replicated' via experiments. What typologists can do is to
guess that an SOV language will probably be postpositional and check whether
this guess applies to the language sample they have chosen.

Paolo Ramat