Cases of homonymy between adpositions and subordinators

Francoise Rose rose at VJF.CNRS.FR
Thu Dec 30 11:28:33 UTC 2004

Dear Typologists,

In many languages, the same form may fulfil the functions of adposition
(preposition or postposition) and subordinator. My main interest lays in the
cases where the adposition was reanalyzed as a subordinator. Nevertheless, I
am still interested in the cases where the subordinator would be at the
source of an adposition, as well as cases where both functions derive from
another source.

In the attached file in PDF Format, I give examples of such homonymies, as
well as a series of questions. I would be very happy and thankful if you
could answer them in case you know such homonymies in your favourite
languages of the wide world.

Thank you!

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

Françoise ROSE