Clarification of the term "pro-drop"

Gideon Goldenberg msgidgol at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Wed Feb 11 19:59:32 UTC 2004

Dear Wolfgang and all,
I do not think that the use of "pro-drop" can be taken
as just another case of a term which like the ancient
traditional mistranslated "accusative" might be accepted
regardless of its literal sense. Its definition was very clear, e.g.,
in Chomsky's Government and Binding (pp. 240-241), where the
property in question is defined as "missing subject", and
explained saying that where there is inflexion involving
overt agreement "the subject can be dropped", "subject-drop
is permitted", "deletion". And yet you say that "nobody in
Typology will infer from the term 'pro drop' that head-marking
languages have 'dropped' an overt pronominal form". It was not
an unfortunate technical term that could be tolerated because
"terminological inexactitude" was common, but a clear
expression of an "intuitional idea" (so Ch.) which can be
accepted or rejected.                        Yours,  Gideon.