How many syllables are there in English?

Anstey, Matthew MAnstey at CSU.EDU.AU
Wed Jan 21 08:40:13 UTC 2004

hi,
I have a vague memory of a dissertation from Nijmegen Max Plank institute that discusses syllable inventories in English and Dutch. I checked the site and perhaps this is the one:

The Role of the Syllable in Speech Production. Evidence from Lexical Statistics, Metalinguistics, Masked Priming and Electromagnetic Midsaggital Articulography.
Niels O. Schiller

Someone else's memory may better than mine! You could also email Nijmegen and ask them.

Regards,
Matthew Anstey
Charles Sturt University
School of Theology, Canberra, Australia

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Discussion List for ALT on behalf of Hua Lin
	Sent: Wed 21/01/2004 4:41 PM
	To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
	Subject: How many syllables are there in English?

	Dear all,

	Does anyone know how many syllables are there in English?
	One source (De Francis 1984?) seems to have said that English has over 8000
	syllables. Can anyone verify this? What is the exact number? Or even better,
	does anyone know a table or a list of all the actually occurring syllables in
	English?

	Thanks so much for your help.

	Hua LIN
	from Victoria, Canada