Modality on Pronouns

Marianne Mithun mithun at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Fri Jan 23 17:50:57 UTC 2004

Let's not overlook the distinction between affixes, which attach to words
of specific lexical categories, and clitics, which are in construction
grammatically with constituents. Clitics may ride on a particular word
phonologically simply because it appears at the beginning of a sentence,
for example. In some cases the word a clitic is riding on phonologically
may not even be part of the constituent in question.

Marianne Mithun

--On Friday, January 23, 2004 10:45 AM +0000 "Daniel L. Everett"