query re dyad constructions

msgidgol at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL msgidgol at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Sun May 23 15:04:58 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Paolo Ramat is certainly right in connecting the so-called Dyad
constructions with dvandva composita. Dyad constructions are the
same phenomenon long known and much discussed since the 19th
century under the name "elliptic dual" and also found in
Greek, Gothic and elsewhere. "Elliptic dual" was said to consist
in the expressing of the conception of a pair of commonly-
associated nouns by the use of the only one of them in the dual
form. Such usage is known of proper names, nouns of symmetric or
asymmetric relation, animates, inanimates &c. (Mentioning symmetric
relation in this context is consequently irrelevant for the general
study of such constructions).
This construction is plentifully attested in Classical Arabic,
well recognized by the Arab grammarians, who called it "al-
muthannà 'alà l-taghlib" [Dualis a potiori] and made known to
Western scholars (i.a.) in a monograph by M. Grünert, "Die Begriffs-
Präponderanz und die Duale a potiori im Altarabischen", Wien
1886 [Sitzungsberichte der phil.-hist. Classe der kais. Akademie
der Wissenschaften 110 (1885),2, 559-596]. Arabic examples quoted
everywhere are those like "al-qamara:ni" [the two moons = the sun
and the moon], "al-mashriqa:ni" [the two easts = East and West, the
whole world], "al-Fura:ta:ni" [the two Euphrates-rivers = the Euphrates
and the Tigris], "al-'Umara:ni" [the two 'Umars = Abu: Bakr and
'Umar (the two first Khalifas)].
This is one of several ways to mark collectively for number (dual or
plural) unequal conjoined nouns or pronouns, and it can rather be
studied as part of that general chapter.

                       Yours with best regards,
                                                 Gideon Goldenberg.

>    Dear Nick,  enclosed you may find the text of your article with  a
>suggestion I have added to it.

 Best wishes, Paolo