[Q] adjectival agreement

Michael Noonan noonan at CSD.UWM.EDU
Thu Sep 2 15:47:53 UTC 2004

In Lango [see my _Grammar of Lango_], a few adjectives agree in number
only [there are no concord classes] with their heads in attributive
constructions, but do not agree in number as such when predicates.
However, when they are predicates, all adjectives are conjugated like
verbs in the habitual aspect and agree in person/number with their
subjects.  The morphology of agreement in the two cases is completely
different.

Mickey Noonan

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Ruys, Eddy wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Would anyone know of languages (or a source which might list
> them) with one of the following properties:
> - adjectives agree for number but not gender. If yes, do they do so when
>   attributive, predicative, or both?
> - adjectives agree for gender but not number. If yes, do they do so when
>   attributive, predicative, or both?
> - adjectives agree for person (while being morphologically distinct from
>   verbs). If yes, do they do so when attributive, predicative, or both?
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
>
> Eddy Ruys

Michael Noonan			Professor of Linguistics
Dept. of English		Office:   414-229-4539
University of Wisconsin		Fax:	  414-229-2643
Milwaukee, WI  53201		Messages: 414-229-4511
USA				Webpage:  http://www.uwm.edu/~noonan