Or and but

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at MAIL.RU
Tue Apr 12 20:09:28 UTC 2005

Dear Typologists, Prof.Dr. Jan Rijkhoff wrote about the PhD of Dr. Caterina Mauri. She writes on her home page that she "carried out a typological research on the cross-linguistic coding of the three coordination relations of combination ('and'), contrast ('but') and alternative ('or'), based on a 74 language sample". That is something. I wonder if she wrote on Russian coordination relations of combination (Or -"ili", and - 'i', but - "no"). I noticed that they are used quite differently in Mansi (Vogul), Russian and English. Thus, the typology of distribution of these linguistic units is quite different. In fact, I have studied these linguistic units in English and in Russian on the material of some prose writers (57) and poets (8) from the point of view of the frequency of occurrence of them in their texts. I have written an article dealing with the distances between these writers and poets but I have no idea what linguistic journal may be interested in my article. Please advise me by writing to my e-mail address yutamb at mail.ru  Looking forward to hearing from you directly to my e-mail address since on the web site your answers may be lost in the heaps of mail. I believe that the discussions on the lingtyplist are quite fruitful. I am on this list for a year and I am satisfied with it very much. Remain yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk, Russia.