Where's where

Claire Bowern bowern at RICE.EDU
Sat Mar 19 21:19:20 UTC 2005

I've never seen it in Australian languages, but the languages I've worked with
are moribund and I wouldn't want to say definitely that it isn't used. The
emphatic negatives I have in Yan-nhangu all involve overgeminating the k of
/yaka/ "no" (note, incidentally, that yaka is the regular Gupapuyngu negative
particle, but the Yan-nhangu one is /rulka/. Emphatic negatives seem to involve
using the Gupapuyngu particle!). Nor have I seen any etymological relations
between interrogatives and negatives in reconstructive work in Australia.
Claire

--
Department of Linguistics -MS23
Rice University