Typological studies based on original texts

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Mon Apr 3 12:27:58 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues,

On Bernhard Waechli's posting: Perhaps it isn't so much a question of moving out from clause-level generalizations into discourse, but of problematizing the entire status of clause-level typological studies. For decades now, single-language linguists have, to very different degrees of course, been developing discourse-first approaches to clausal morphosyntax. Typology seems stuck on cross-linguistic studies of local phenomena like argument structure etc. The work on deictics by Himmelmann, Laury, William Hanks and others shows how the entire conception of a deictic form changes when it is approached from a discourse-first perspective--it isn't a question of extending the clause-level facts into discourse, but of showing that the clause-level conclusions were simply inadequate.
Another reason for looking at discourse in typology is that clause-level typology privileges already-identified constructions that are therefore to a large extent already grammaticized. When you scrutinize discourse in any language you are likely to find incipient traces of what are in other languages more robust constructions. So any explanation of how these construction arose (surely a crucial question in typology) must study these traces to see how they arise and why they might take root.
Finally, clause-level typology rarely considers the sort of corpus questions that Greville mentions. These include lexical restrictions on constructions that often don't make their way into grammatical descriptions, and which may give the appearance of more productivity than is actually warranted.

Paul Hopper

--
Paul J. Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of the Humanities