answers and tags

Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Thu Aug 24 05:53:34 UTC 2006

Dear Edith,
Theo Vennemann once (2002) gave a lecture in Munich on the problem you
have mentioned. He discussed the typology of yes/no-answers especially
with respect to the distribution of patterns in Europa hypothesizing
that a Celtic substrat has motivated e.g. the English type of echo
answers that again would have caused the the echoing tag type. To better
account for the details from a typological perspective, it would make
sense to 'classify' the different tag types and see a) whether their
internal structure is matched in echo answers and b) whether a certain
type of tags necesserily calls for a specific answer type. Personally, I
would start from a template similar to the following (surely not
comprehensive):

             Question      Answer
 Tag     Without       1. yes/no
                                  2. echo
                                  2.1 Based on dummy verbs (light
verbs), eg. 'do, have' etc.
                                  2.2 Based on the echoing of the full verb
Tag        Present
              1. yes/no
              2. only yes
              3. only not
              4. internal echo
              4.1 Based on dummy verbs (light verbs) e.g. 'do, have' etc.
              4.2 Based on the echoing of the full verb

The question internal tags should further be classified according to the
question wether it is negate a positive assumption / asserts a negative
assumption (> contradiction), or whether it matches the polarity. In
addition, it might be crucial to observe which constituents are copied
into a tag-like answer (as well into the tag itself). In English, we
clearly see an accusative startegy, copying S and A into the answer
(plus dummy verb), but 'fading out' O (nad IO etc.). In ergative
strategies, the oppostite may occasionally be true.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

--
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze
Institut fuer Allgemeine und Vergleichende Sprachwissenschaft
E-mail: W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Web: http://www.ats.lmu.de./index.php