complements of perception verbs

Claudia Wegener wegener at LING.UNI-GRAZ.AT
Fri Aug 25 12:48:09 UTC 2006

Dear all,

In the language I'm working on (Savosavo, Papuan, Solomon Islands), the
complex clause used to talk about perceiving an event consists of an
independent (main) clause encoding the percept (i.e. the event that is
perceived), and a dependent clause encoding the 'act of perception'.
Judging from the literature I've read so far (grammars as well as
typological literature), this seems to be a bit unusual - the percept
seems to be usually encoded in the dependent clause (as in English "I
saw that he left").

I'd be grateful
1. if any of you'd know of other languages that put perception verbs
such as 'see' and 'hear' in a dependent clause, and the percept in the
main clause, or
2. if you could point me to any typological or theoretical literature
mentioning this that I might have missed!

Thanks in advance,
Claudia Wegener

--
Claudia Wegener