case/adposition term

Urmas.Sutrop at EKI.EE Urmas.Sutrop at EKI.EE
Tue Jul 11 12:48:31 UTC 2006

Dear  Martin,

Analytic and synthetic cases are not a very good solution. In Estonian, for
example, many adpositions have also (some) "traditional" (local) case forms.

maja ‘house’
maja-s = maja see-s ‘in the house’ Inessive
maja-sse OR majja = maja si-sse ‘into the house’ Illative
maja-st = maja see-st ‘from, of, out of the house’ Elative

maja-l = maja pea-l ‘upon, on, at the house’ Adessive
maja-le = maja pea-le ‘to the house’ Allative
maja-lt = maja pea-lt ‘from, off the house’ Ablative

These examples show that analytic forms are at the same time synthetic.

Best,
Urmas Sutrop

> I have a terminological question:
>
> Cases and adpositions have many properties in common, so it is useful to
> have a term for a broader concept that includes both. I know of three
> proposals for such a broader concept:
>
> (1) relator
> (2) flag
> (3) case
>
> I'm interested in places in the literature where one of these three
> choices has been explicitly adopted, and of course in alternatives that
> I don't know about.
>
> I have used (2) ("flag") myself in recent work (a 2005 paper published
> in "Linguistic Discovery", see
> http://linguistic-discovery.dartmouth.edu/cgi-
bin/WebObjects/Journals.woa/xmlpage/1/issue),