"flag" for case/adposition

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Jul 13 11:02:19 UTC 2006

Dear LINGTYPists,

Thanks to everyone who reacted to my query about a case/adposition cover
term. Many people seem to think that it's useful to have a cover term,
although it was pointed out that cases and adpositions don't do exactly
the same kinds of things (but I still like Zwicky's 1992:370
formulation: "Everything you can do with adpositions you can do with
case inflections, and vice versa.")

There clearly is widespread support for reserving "case" for
inflectional case (Christian Lehmann, M. Noonan, Paolo Ramat, Claude
Hagège). It seems to me that a term such as "case-marker" (Croft 2003,
Kilby 1981) or "case relator" (Lehmann) for case/adposition is bound to
be confusing, because it cannot be interpreted compositionally.

This leaves us with "relator", "flag" or some further neologism (though
none has been proposed). As pointed out by Niels Smit and C. Lehmann,
"relator" has actually been used more broadly in earlier work by Simon
Dik and Christian Lehmann, to encompass also subordinators and (in Dik's
work) coordinators. And other terms based on "relat-" (such as Croft's
"relational morpheme", M. Noonan's "relational morphology", and W.
Schulze's "relational echo") have the disadvantage that the term
"relation" is extremely broad.

So I think "flag" is actually the best term, because it has no other
sense (if we leave aside the marginal use in Basque inflection, pointed
out by Stig Eliasson). It has the additional advantage that a verb can
easily be derived from it ("the recipient needs to be flagged",
"unflagged arguments can be relativized", etc.), and the noun "flagging"
can be used for "case/adpositional marking". Its only disadvantage is
that it's not very familiar yet (M. Noonan finds it "a bit opaque", but
probably he means "unfamiliar", because it's a very transparent metaphor).

I have had confirmation from three (former) relational grammarians,
Judith Aissen, Brian Joseph and Donna Gerdts, that "flag" (and the verb
"to flag") was current in Relational Grammar from at least 1980 on (the
term occurs in Johnson & Postal 1980). A particularly clear statement
occurs in Aissen (1987): "5. Flagging: Tzotzil uses prepositions and
so-called 'relational nouns' to mark NPs for their grammatical or
thematic relations — to FLAG them, in the terminology of relational
grammar." (Aissen 1987:11)

So I will continue to use "flag" as a cover term for case/adposition.

Best,
Martin