Volitional patients

Ashild Nass ashild.nass at ILN.UIO.NO
Wed Mar 22 12:17:30 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

I'm wondering if anyone has information on languages where a patient
arugment which is somehow volitionally involved in the event which
affects it (e.g. 'letting' something happen to it) is marked differently
from a regular nonvolitional patient. There are examples of this from
Icelandic (examples from Barddal 2001):

1. Hann klóraDi mig        2. Hann klóraDi mér
    he.NOM scratched me.ACC       he.NOM scratched me.DAT

(D here used for the voiced dental approximant)
Both of these translate into English as 'he scratched me'; the
difference is that in 1) the scratching is an act of violence, where as
in 2) it refers to scratching in order to relieve an itch; in other
words, the dative-marked participant in 2) voluntarily submits to the
scratching, whereas the accusative-marked participant in 1) is a hapless
victim.

Does anyone know of other languages that show similar patterns? The
distinction wouldn't necessarily have to be in the case-marking of the
object, any formal distinction on this basis is of interest.

Thanks in advance,

Åshild Næss
--
Åshild Næss