Volitional patients

Ashild Nass ashild.nass at ILN.UIO.NO
Thu Mar 23 08:00:19 UTC 2006

Dear typologists,

Richard Madsen's comment asking whether the dative-marked object in my
Icelandic examples shouldn't rather be considered a beneficiary got me
thinking. Volitional patients are in fact semantically very close to
other types of participants such as recipients or beneficiaries. The
latter are also volitional or at least sentient - you have to be
sentient in order to be plausibly said to benefit from something - and
they receive an effect of the action. Also, the idea of volitionally
submitting to having something done to you strongly suggests a
beneficial effect (or, alternatively, masochism, a property which I
don't think anyone has ever suggested we should expect to find encoded
in language). So maybe one could say that the default interpretation of
a volitional patient is as a beneficiary. Conversely, isn't a
beneficiary to a certain extent a kind of volitional patient? Can you be
said to benefit from something which you don't really want? It may be
possible, but certainly not the prototypical interpretation of a
beneficiary.

What I'm saying is, maybe the reason why a distinct formal encoding of
volitional patients appears to be rare, or at least rarely described as
such, is either or both of these: 1) they're semantically so close to
other, more generally familiar types such as beneficiaries that
linguists have described them in the latter terms; 2) because of the
same semantic similarity, *languages* treat these types in the same way.

Thanks to Richard, and to everyone else who replied.

Regards,

Åshild

--
Åshild Næss