publishing typological databases

Stuart Robinson stuart at ZAPATA.ORG
Mon Apr 16 21:32:47 UTC 2007

Ashild has a good point. Part of the problem is the culture of descriptive
linguistics, where there is still a fair bit of indifference and even
hostility towards the technological investment required to support
sustainable digital fieldwork data. I'm thinking, for example, of Bob
Dixon's statement on this list when he received the Leonard Bloomfield
award:

"A word addressed to junior colleagues who think that it will
improve their work to immerse it in the latest electronic technology.
Don't. Because it won't. I worked on the Jarawara grammar as I did on
previous grammars of Dyirbal, of Yidi?, of Boumaa Fijian (and of
English). I used pencil, pen and spiral-bound notebooks, plus a couple of
good-quality tape recorders. No video camera (to have employed
one would have compromised my role in the community). No lap-top. No
shoebox or anything of that nature. And no also grammatical
elicitation from the lingua franca."

This passed without comment when it was posted roughly a year ago, but if
people are serious about recognizing the value of electronic data, it
shouldn't have.

Best,
Stuart Robinson