Data bases

Stuart Robinson stuart at ZAPATA.ORG
Sun Apr 22 17:44:29 UTC 2007

That databases are databases and journal articles are journal articles of
course goes without saying. That's because it's a tautology. We all know
that there is a big difference in the current academic environment between
databases and journal articles. The question is whether there should be,
and why. The issue Martin's original posting raised identified specific
issues that need to be addressed for the "publication" of typological
databases. If you don't think databases and archives should be developed
and/or promoted, that's fine.  I'd like to hear why. But make an argument,
don't just assert that databases aren't research. More specifically, I'd
like to hear your explanation of why you think data themselves aren't
research even though they require thoughtful preparation? And why is "the
clear and sharp distinction between research and materials" essential?

-Stuart