more on databases and publications

James Gair jwg2 at CORNELL.EDU
Mon Apr 23 19:07:19 UTC 2007

I, too, have been following the series with interest. I have nothing
to add except to express my strong agreement with what Nigel says. He
has in fact said what i would have hoped to say, but said it better.
As he and others have noted, databases and corpora differ widely on
what went into them in terms of preparation and  original analysis.
It is foolish and shortsighted to have a disincentive for young
scholars to engage in work that may well (and often does) have a more
lasting value than a paper applying the latest theoretical twist,
though that, too, should not be undervalued.

Thank you, Nigel, Martin, and the others who have engaged on whatever
side in this valuable discussion.

James W. Gair
professor Emeritus of linguistics
Cornell University