Pronouns in Euraisa and elsewhere

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Tue Aug 7 21:46:31 UTC 2007

Nick's Latin example reminds me of a paper about the other end of the body
co-authored by my colleague Andrew Koontz-Garboden, viz:
Beavers, John & Andrew Koontz-Garboden. A universal pronoun in English?.
Linguistic Inquiry 37 (2006): 503-513, which analyses the expression
'his/your/etc ass' and makes a convincing case for it having the distribution
of a pronoun in the appropriate dialects.
One might also mention the use of various body parts in idioms involving the
fake reflexive construction. Thus, alongside 'he talked himself out of
the job'
or 'he worked himself to a standstill' you get things like 'she laughed her
head off', 'she sang her heart out', 'they worked their fingers to the bone'
etc.

And on etymology, isn't English 'she' supposed to be a borrowing?

Nigel

--
Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Associate Vice-President for Graduate Education

Mailing address:     School of Languages, Linguistics & Cultures
                     University of Manchester
                     Manchester M13 9PL
                     United Kingdom

Tel (direct):        +44-(0)-161-275-3194
Fax:                 +44-(0)-161-275-3031