Pronouns in Euraisa and elsewhere

Erdal at EM.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE Erdal at EM.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Wed Aug 8 07:38:40 UTC 2007

Ottoman Turkish bendeniz was polite for 'I'. I consists of Persian
bende 'slave' + the 2nd pers. pl. possessive suffix; e.g. 'your slave'
Since, however, the noun bende stopped being understandable to Turks
and since Turkish 'I' is 'ben', bendeniz was metanalysed into ben +
what was felt to be some suffix of politeness.
I also tend to think the 1st person singular clitic pronoun (i.e.
corresponding to French 'je') of Turkish and Azeri was borrowed from
Persian (while Ottoman still had the old +ven in use).
Turkic borrowing of reflexives is more common, Chuvash and Chaghatay
adopting Iranian forms, while some Northeast-Asian languages borrowed
the Mongol word for 'body' to serve as reflexive pronoun.
All the best,
Marcel Erdal