nasality and negation

Michael Noonan noonan at CSD.UWM.EDU
Thu Aug 30 17:21:04 UTC 2007

To Marianne's examples we can add Tamangic [Sino-Tibetan, Bodish] a-
(<*ma-); the Krongo [Nilo-Saharan] circumfix a...e; the Ga [Niger-Congo,
Kwa] negation of the past, progressive, and habitual tenses, consisting of
a high (or mid) tone on the verbal root and a lengthening of the final
vowel; etc.

Mickey Noonan

Michael Noonan
Professor of Linguistics