nasality and negation

Matti Miestamo matmies at LING.HELSINKI.FI
Fri Aug 31 11:55:30 UTC 2007

[I tried to send this yesterday, but it didn't come through; here's another
attempt.]

Dear All,

the claim about nasality is also found in Mayerthaler (1981a,b). I have not
checked it systematically, but having analysed some other aspects of
negative structures in a large number of languages, I would be surprised if
any clear cross-linguistic tendencies for nasality were discovered.
Obviously, this needs to be tested systematically, since the idea pops up in
discussions once in a while. Honda (1996) lists the forms of negative
morphemes for a large number of languages, and in my 2005 book there is also
an appendix where the negative morphemes of the sample languages can be
found. A preliminary count could be quite easily made on the basis of these
lists.

Best wishes,
Matti