Lexicalization of case markers

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Thu Jan 4 20:43:33 UTC 2007

It seems possible that in Indonesian pairs like:

1. aku mimpin akan dia
2. aku mimpinkan dia
(both = "I dream about him/her")

the applicative (i.e. case-coding) -kan suffix in 2 is older, and that the free preposition akan derives from the suffix, not the other way around (because the suffix but not the preposition has clear cognates elsewhere in Austronesian). IFF this is so, it would be a clear case of a lexical item derived from a case suffix. The historical picture is complicated. There's a recent discussion in a paper "Notes on the etymology of the Malay/Indonesian suffix -kan" by Uri Tadmor 10th Int'l Conf on Austron. Lx. Delaware 2006 <http://email.eva.mpg.de/~gil/ismil/10/abstracts/Tadmor_ISMIL_10.pdf>, from which the above example is taken.

Paul