plural agreement for singular subjects

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Wed Jan 31 10:54:32 UTC 2007

I agree with Grev that Guillaume's data is both interesting and yet different
from the type of phenomenon that Stuart is talking about. On the
Guillaume side
of the list one can add the fact that in Italian the general noun 'la gente'
meaning 'people' is grammatically singular (cf the fsg art 'la') and
normatively requires to be followed by a singular verb. In colloquial usage it
is instead commonly followed by a plural verb and indeed this singular
+ plural
usage is regularly included in lists of phenomena said to characterise
so-called 'italiano popolare'.
Two other points that occur to me:
1. The English pattern Guillaume mentions extends to 'everyone' and 'no-one',
which trigger singular verb agreement but plural tags: 'everyone has arrived,
haven't they?'; 'no-one is missing, are they?'
2. Some nouns in Romance are now singular but derive from Latin plurals: thus
French fsg 'la feuille' 'leaf' from Latin 'folia' neuter plural.
Nigel

--
Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Associate Vice-President for Graduate Education

Mailing address:     School of Languages, Linguistics & Cultures
                     University of Manchester
                     Manchester M13 9PL
                     United Kingdom

Tel (direct):        +44-(0)-161-275-3194
Fax:                 +44-(0)-161-275-3031