appositive relative clauses

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Thu Jul 19 11:58:17 UTC 2007

Martin makes an apt point in mentioning the affinity of nonrestrictives with written language. Some English-language publishing houses require ALL restrictives to have "that" and ALL nonrestrictives to have "who/which" (and to be enclosed by commas). So there is a language (Publisherese?) in which indeed the two types are distinguished in their coding.

Paul

--
Paul J. Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of the Humanities