query: lexical stress in acronyms

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Jul 26 06:55:56 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I'm interested in patterns of lexical stress in a specific type of
acronym -- let's call them letter-by-letter acronyms -- whose
pronunciation consists of each letter bearing its own individual name,
eg. English US [yu:es], LFG [elefji:], etc.  (Not all languages have
letter-by-letter acronyms, for example Hebrew does not.)

In two languages that I'm familiar with, English and Papuan Malay, word
stress is commonly or predominantly penultimate; however,
letter-by-letter acronyms invariably place the stress on the last
syllable, eg. [yu:ES], [elefJI:].  Is this a coincidence, or is there a
general principle at play here?  (One might perhaps wish to argue that
the final stress is phrasal rather than lexical, but in other respects
these acronyms behave like single words.)

I'd appreciate any comments, data from other languages, and
bibliographical references to stress patterns in letter-by-letter acronyms.

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321
Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/