query: lexical stress in acronyms

Jan Anward janan at ISK.LIU.SE
Mon Jul 30 08:51:40 UTC 2007

In Swedish, l-by-l acronyms with 3 letters have stress on the lfinal
syllable (LFG, USA, PKK, …), whereas l-by-l with two letters have
stress on the initial syllable (FN, BG, TT, …). I am currently away
from my books, but I beleve someone has written an article about
this. I'll check t when I get back home, in mid-August.

Best,

Jan

26 jul 2007 kl. 08.55 skrev David Gil:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm interested in patterns of lexical stress in a specific type of
> acronym -- let's call them letter-by-letter acronyms -- whose
> pronunciation consists of each letter bearing its own individual
> name, eg. English US [yu:es], LFG [elefji:], etc.  (Not all
> languages have letter-by-letter acronyms, for example Hebrew does
> not.)
>
> In two languages that I'm familiar with, English and Papuan Malay,
> word stress is commonly or predominantly penultimate; however,
> letter-by-letter acronyms invariably place the stress on the last
> syllable, eg. [yu:ES], [elefJI:].  Is this a coincidence, or is
> there a general principle at play here?  (One might perhaps wish to
> argue that the final stress is phrasal rather than lexical, but in
> other respects these acronyms behave like single words.)
>
> I'd appreciate any comments, data from other languages, and
> bibliographical references to stress patterns in letter-by-letter
> acronyms.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> --
> David Gil
>
> Department of Linguistics
> Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
> Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany
>
> Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
> Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
> Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/

Jan Anward
Professor