correction: Language Catalogue workshop 2007

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu May 10 06:30:29 UTC 2007

There was an error in an earlier posting on the Language Catalogue
workshop in Leipzig: It's in 2007, i.e. in about seven weeks' time (not
in 2008). Sorry for the confusion.*

************
Towards a Comprehensive Language Catalogue

One-day workshop at the MPI for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, 28
June 2007
(organized by Martin Haspelmath)
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~haspelmt/cat.html

At this informal workshop, we want to discuss ways in which linguists
can collaborate towards the ambitious goal of creating a Comprehensive
Language Catalogue. At the moment, all available language catalogues
(such as Ruhlen 1987, Mosely & Asher 1994, Gordon 2005) are limited in
the amount and quality of information on the world's languages that they
provide.

There seems to be general agreement that it would be desirable to have a
language catalogue that provides at least the following types of
information:

* geographical information: ideally for each language we would know not
just roughly where it is spoken (in terms of a single central point or a
vague polygon), but we would have detailed information on all the
settlements where its speakers live

* genealogical information: ideally we would like to know not only what
the current majority view on genealogical trees is, but also what
alternative proposals there are and what evidence and criteria both the
majority view and alternative theories are based on in detail

* bibliographical information: ideally we would like to have a complete
list of bibliographical  references for all the lesser-known languages

* glossonymic information: ideally we would like to have comprehensive
information on language names, which for each name explains its domain
of use and its origin (as far as this is known); ideally such a list of
language names would be multilingual

* sociological information: ideally for each language we would know at
least an estimate of how many speakers there are and, if relevant, an
estimate of the degree to which the language is endangered.

*historical information: for many languages, we also have diachronic
information on all of the above aspects, and this should also be
integrated into a database.

At this workshop, we will discuss the specifics of the field's
desiderata and possible ways of moving closer to achieving them.

(Note that this workshop is held just after a meeting on a related
topic, Wikifying Research
<http://email.eva.mpg.de/%7Ecysouw/meetings/wikifying.html>.)

Participants (so far -- additions are welcome):

Peter Austin (SOAS London)
Anthony Aristar (Eastern Michigan University/LINGUIST List)
Balthasar Bickel (University of Leipzig)
William Croft (University of New Mexico)
Michael Cysouw (MPI-EVA Leipzig)
Östen Dahl (Stockholm University)
Jeff Good (University at Buffalo)
Martin Haspelmath (MPI-EVA Leipzig)
Jean-Marie Hombert (University of Lyon 2)
Christian Lehmann (University of Erfurt)
Ljuba Veselinova (Stockholm University)

There is no funding for this workshop, but anyone who is interested is
welcome to attend (just contact Martin Haspelmath). There will be some
short presentations, but mostly the workshop will consist of informal
discussions.

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6