Online linguistic descriptive materials

Harald Hammarström harald at BOMBO.SE
Wed May 16 00:40:29 UTC 2007

Dear Typologists,
I'd like to take the oppurtunity to praise sites, digital libraries,
that offer free reading access to enjoyable linguistic materials. I
name a few below from memory, in no particular order, but there are many
more, and we should be grateful to all of them:

1) Gallica gallica.bnf.fr
Has lots of material from around the turn of the century esp. in French.

2) Melbourne Eprints http://eprints.unimelb.edu.au/
Has a few PhD theses notably South Efate and Kuuk Thayorre

3) Sydney eScholarship repository http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/
Has a few PhD theses notably Menggwa Dla and the long sought after
(at least for me) Anindilyakwa thesis (Warning: the description of
the morphology covers 500 pages).

4) Google books books.google.com
NOTE: To see all books you must surf through an US ip number.
Has hundreds of books and a few periodicals from around the turn
of the century, notably lots of SPCK books and most of the NE Africa
collections associated with Reinisch.

5) Leiden dSpace https://www.openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/community-list
Has a bunch of PhD thesis, notably of African languages.

6) MIT dSpace http://dspace.mit.edu/
Has non-printable .pdf:s of all (I think) MIT PhD theses.

7) LOT Dissertations www.let.uu.nl/LOT/LOTDissertations/dissertations.htm
Has a multitude of Dutch theses including some killer material
on hard-to-find-data Amazonian languages.

8) Biblioteca Digital UNICAMP http://libdigi.unicamp.br/
Has a bunch of recent theses (also MA) on Amazonian languages in
portguese. Includes killer material on hard-to-find-data
languages. Free registering necessary.

9) Canadiana www.canadiana.org
Allows page by page browsing of most things published in Canada before
1900 or so. Notably algonquian languages and amateur works on the chinook
jargon.

10) Papuaweb http://www.papuaweb.org/dlib/index.html
A bunch of theses and books on Papuan languages. Including the Wurm
1975 book. Anyone not downloading and reading this book should be
ashamed.

11) Monumenta Altaica http://www.altaica.ru/
Lots of books mainly in Russian on Altaic languages and comparative
linguists.

12) University of Michigan http://www.si.umich.edu/UMDL/
Curiously has lots of philippine language grammars but also
other grammars and dictionaries from around the world.
Only page by page browsing.

13) University of Oregon http://boundless.uoregon.edu/digcol/
Has the extensive early 20th century works on the indigenous
oregon languages.

14) UCP http://www.ucpress.edu/
Free e-books of the latest titles.

15) Biblioteca Curt Nimuendaju http://biblio.etnolinguistica.googlepages.com/
Rapidly expanding site with Amazonian, esp. Je, language materials.
Highlight is Mamiani's hard-to-find arte of Kiriri.

16) PARADISEC paradisec.org.au/
Page by page browsing of Capell's fieldnotes! More about to be added.
Registering necessary (I think).

17) SIL www.sil.org
Last but not least the various SIL branches have made a wealth of
material accessible in recent year. Notably lots of Papuan materials
and almost all of the Peru catalogue.

all the best,