Book notice

Mily Crevels m.crevels at LET.RU.NL
Thu Nov 1 14:37:13 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,

The latest volume in our series Indigenous Languages of Latin America (ILLA) may be of special interest to you:

Swintha Danielsen. 2007. Baure: An Arawak language of Bolivia [Indigenous Languages of Latin America (ILLA) 6]. Leiden: CNWS Publications.

Swintha Danielsen recently defended her doctoral dissertation at Nijmegen University and her book contains a grammatical description of Baure, a seriously endangered language of Bolivian Amazonia. Baure belongs to the South Arawakan language family and forms part of the Guaporé-Mamoré linguistic area. The book is the first detailed and comprehensive grammatical description of the language, covering its phonology, morphology, syntax and discourse stucture. Special attention is given to the complex (morpho)phonological processes within a phonological phrase, the rich noun classification system, the distinction of verbal and non-verbal predicates with respect to the argument marking pattern, the three-level distinction of verbal morphology, and specific clause types based on different nominalization strategies, which also play an important role in clause subordination. The relation to the surrounding South-Arawakan languages Trinitario, Ignaciano, and Paunaca is investigated through comparison of the lexicon and the grammar. The appendices contain different text types, lists of grammatical morphemes, classifiers, and the Swadesh 200 word list. It is a highly valuable addition to our knowledge of South-American languages and cultures in general and the Arawakan languages in particular.

The book is in English and contains 502 pages. The sale price is 45 Euros and it can be ordered directly from the publisher CNWS in Leiden. For ordering and further information about other publications in our series and the special offer that runs until December 15, please visit:

http://www.cnwspublications.com/.

Mily Crevels