eLT

Frans Plank Frans.Plank at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Sat Dec 6 11:32:06 UTC 2008

Many thanks everybody for the useful feedback on electronic journal
publishing.  Let me respond to the questions asked and points raised.

(i)  Right now, you (or anybody else) can only read LT online if your
library has a print plus online subscription (which is 197 Euros, as
compared to 171 Euros for print only, and 64 Euros of an
individual-print or 41 Euros of a student-print subscription,
including the ALT membership fee).  In the near future (the
technicalities are just being sorted out:  we'll keep the membership
informed), ALT members will also get online access, via
ReferenceGlobal, with their individual subscriptions, or at least
online access as an option.

(ii)  Walter de Gruyter, of which Mouton de Gruyter is part, are
committed -- and indeed contractually bound to the Deutsche
Bibliothek (a respectable institution not to be confused with the
Deutsche Bank or the Deutsche Bahn) and the US-based company PORTICO
-- to long-term archiving of their online products.

As one of the correspondents wrote on this point, by having its
journal published through Mouton de Gruyter, ALT would seem to be
getting a good deal at very modest expense, namely the full
infrastructure for producing and disseminating a recognised quality
journal.  It's not obvious that a better deal could be gotten in the
do-it-yourself mode, concerning effort, cost, and sustainability.
(Even if a smallish and poorish association such as ALT could go into
a DIY mode in this respect.)

To me, Walter de Gruyter don't look like they're selling out -- not
only because shareholder-owned "Equity Funds" Publishing Houses
probably won't be in a buying mood for some time to come.

(iii)  Walter de Gruyter are members of a consortium, INASP, which
provides either print or free access to online publications to
"Economically Deprived Countries".

Thanks again
Frans