"World" subjects of meteorological predicates

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Feb 14 14:38:58 UTC 2008

In Minangkabau, and in some Indonesian dialects of Sumatra and Borneo,
the word for 'day' is used in construction with meteorological and
other temporal expressions.  The following examples are from Riau
Indonesian:

(1) Hari hujan
     day rain
     'It's raining'

(2) Hari udah malam
     day PFCT night
     'It's already night'

(3) Hari mau raya
     day want great
     'The great (holiday) is approaching' [referring to Idul Fitri]

(4) Hari jam tiga
     day hour three
     'It's three o'clock'

I would take issue, however, with the characterization of 'hari' in
the above examples as *subject*.  Riau Indonesian doesn't have
well-defined subjects, and in particular, in the above examples,
'hari' doesn't display any unusual grammatical properties of the kind
that one might wish to associate with subjects.  For example, in the
above examples, word order is free, and 'hari' has the additional
option of occuring after the meteorological (or other) predicate.

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321
Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/