typology and categorial particularism

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Fri Jul 11 14:42:07 UTC 2008

Dear LINGTYP readers,

Some of you may have seen the paper by F. Newmeyer in LT 2007 defending
cross-linguistic categories, reacting to a paper of mine in the same
issue (and earlier work by William Croft and Matthew Dryer) where we
take the position that grammatical categories are strictly
language-specific ("categorial particularism").

I have just completed a first draft of a paper that reacts to Newmeyer's
defense of cross-linguistic categories and explains in some detail how
typology is possible in the face of category diversity ("Comparative
concepts and descriptive categories in cross-linguistic studies"). If
you're interested, you can find it on my web page
(http://email.eva.mpg.de/~haspelmt/papers.html). An abstract is included
below.

I'd be interested in any comments, on this list or by e-mail just to me.

Greetings,
Martin Haspelmath

******************

Comparative concepts and descriptive categories in cross-linguistic studies
Martin Haspelmath, July 2008

Abstract

In this paper I argue that cross-linguistic grammatical comparison
cannot be based on grammatical categories, because these are
language-specific. Instead, typology must be (and usually is) based on a
special set of comparative concepts that are specifically created by
typologists for the purposes of comparison.
    Descriptive formal categories cannot be equated across languages
because the criteria for category-assignment are different from language
to language. This old structuralist insight (called categorial
particularism) has recently been emphasized again by several linguists,
but the idea that typologists need to identify "cross-linguistic
categories" before they can compare languages is still widespread.
Instead, what they have to do (and normally do in practice) is to create
comparative concepts that help them to identify comparable phenomena
across languages and to formulate cross-linguistic generalizations.
Comparative concepts have to be universally applicable, so they can only
be based on other universally applicable concepts: conceptual-semantic
concepts, formal concepts, general concepts, and other comparative concepts.
    If, by contrast, one espouses categorial universalism and assumes
cross-linguistic categories, as many generative linguists do, typology
works by equating comparable categories in different languages, which
are said to "instantiate" a cross-linguistic category. But in
typological practice, all that is required is that a language-specific
category matches a comparative concept. For example, the Russian Dative,
the Turkish Dative and the Finnish Allative all match the comparative
concept 'dative case', but they are very different distributionally and
semantically and therefore cannot be equated and cannot instantiate a
cross-linguistic category 'dative'.
    Comparative concepts are not always purely semantically-based
concepts, but outside of phonology they usually contain some semantic
components. If one is not confident about the universality of meanings,
one can substitute extralinguistic contexts for universal meanings. The
view that descriptive categories are different across languages and
different from comparative concepts leads to terminological problems,
which are also discussed here. Finally, I observe that the adoption of
categorial universalism has actually impeded, not facilitated,
cross-linguistic research.

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

Glottopedia - the free encyclopedia of linguistics
(http://www.glottopedia.org)