Teaching Materials on Language Endangerment

Hengeveld, P.C. P.C.Hengeveld at UVA.NL
Wed Jun 4 21:56:07 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,

The Endangered Languages Programme (ELP) of the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO) has as one of its continuous aims to increase the awareness of the problem of language endangerment among the general public.

The programme felt that one of the best ways to achieve this for the years to come was to prepare teaching materials on the issue of language endangerment for secondary education.

At the request of the ELP, Cecilia Odé prepared a fascinating multimedia course in Dutch to be used in geography classes, that has been received very well within the educational system in The Netherlands.

Encouraged by this response, we decided to prepare an English version of the course as well, which is now available at: www.bedreigdetalen.nl.

We would appreciate it very much if you could have a look at this new version. If you feel this course could be useful within the educational system of your country, please help us bring it to the attention of potentially interested organizations in secondary education in your country.

We are also investigating the possibilities of translating the course into other languages, and would appreciate your help with this as well.

Yours sincerely,

Kees Hengeveld

Chair, NWO Endangered Language Programme

home.hum.uva.nl/oz/hengeveldp <http://home.hum.uva.nl/oz/hengeveldp>