Question on agentive nominalizations

Kulikov, L.I. L.Kulikov at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Tue Jun 17 12:07:23 UTC 2008

Dear Mark, dear Nicholas, dear Typologists,

An addendum to Nicholas' counter-examples (from Sanskrit) and comments:

Yes, Sanskrit is a good example, but I would rather quote Vedic: (Classical) Sanskrit
was not a living language any longer (its status being comparable to that of the medieval Latin),
but Vedic (to which Speijer's characterization "in the earlier period" refers) _was_, at least
in its early period (until approx. the beginning of the 1st mill. BC, in the language
of the Rgveda and, perhaps, Atharvaveda). Incidentally, the accentual oppositions mentioned
by Nicholas are only applicable for (early/middle) Vedic, where the accentuation still was marked;
Classical Sanskrit lost the accents which existed in Vedic.

Also, I would be careful when quoting Panini: he is usually supposed to rerflect the usage
as attested (foremost) in middle Vedic, but, in fact, some of his prescriptions should be
taken with caution as they are not corroborated by evidence from texts (W.D. Whitney has repeatedly
noticed that fact). But at least in case of his
accentual rules, they do correspond to usages attested (in Vedic).

For the usage and syntax of TR/TAR-nouns, you may now consult a comprehensive monographic description
by Eva Tichy (Eva Tichy. Die Nomina agentis auf -tar- im Vedischen. Heidelberg: Winter, 1995;
see esp. pp. 331ff. on constructions with acc. vs. gen., but also passim).

Note also that the (very productive) TAR-nouns are also compared with participles by grammarians
and even considered some sort of 'quasi-participles' (e.g. Whitney, Sanskrit grammar (1889), p. 446:
"these [agent-nouns in TR] in the oldest language are very frequently used participially, governing the
object in the accusative")

best

Leonid Kulikov

Leiden University
Faculty of Arts, Dept. of Indo-European Comparative Linguistics (VIET)
PO Box 9515
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands
Tel. +31-71-5272203