Crackers

Viktor El=?ISO-8859-2?B?ue0=?=k viktor_elsik at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 24 20:31:14 UTC 2008

Czech, yet another European language, goes with German in that the verbs
PRASKNOUT / PRASKAT "to crack" (and also PUKNOUT / PUKAT, perhaps more like
"to burst"), or their aktionsart derivations, do not allow transitive uses:

Váza byla prasklá / puklá.
"The vase was cracked."

Váza měla prasklinu / puklinu.
"The vase had a crack."

Váza praskla / pukla.
"The vase cracked."

*Otec prasknul / puknul vázu.
"Father cracked the vase."

Like in German, there is no more or less direct way of expressing the
causation here.

There is, however, the transitive verb LOUSKAT that translates English
"crack" in "crack a nut", and the (etymologically) related transitive verb
LUŠTIT that translates English "crack" in "crack a code".

Viktor Elšík (Elsik)