Crackers

Stuart Robinson stuart at ZAPATA.ORG
Wed Jun 25 17:09:56 UTC 2008

I also don't see what's wrong with "Father cracked the vase" with an
intentional reading. You get both intentional and accidental readings with
'crack' in corpora. In deference to linguistic tradition, let's go
with a few violent sentences from Wikipedia where 'crack' is used as a
transitive verb and the reading is definitely intentional
(non-accidental):

* Galuxwadzuwus ("Crooked-Beak of Heaven") and Huxhukw (supernatural
Crane-Like Bird who cracks skulls of men to suck out their brains) are
other participants.

* The survivors were reduced to cannibalism, with one report stating that
the skulls of the dead were cracked open so that the brains could be
eaten.

* Though this method has been observed to be successful once in twenty-two
attempts, it is more energy efficient than the traditional method of
chasing the small mammals and cracking their skulls on a nearby rock.

But then you also get these, where one crack skulls accidentally:

* In the ensuing chaos, Rhys slips and cracks his skull on the edge of a
step.

* Recovering quickly, Caton returned to light training in December, but
just two months later, he cracked his skull in a car accident that knocked
back his recovery - though he did manage to appear in twenty minutes of
reserve action before the season was out.

So it seems you get both intentional and accidental readings quite easily,
depending on the appropriate context (at least with this particular verb
and object, and I suspect the same holds true for other verb/object
pairs).

BTW, I found these examples by doing a search on powerset.com. (Full
disclosure: I work there.) You can find instances of skull cracking here:

http://www.powerset.com/explore/go/who-cracked-skulls%3F

Or egg cracking:

http://www.powerset.com/explore/go/who-cracked-eggs%3F

-Stuart