"simple juxtaposition"

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Mon Nov 24 14:03:26 UTC 2008

No, Hartmut, don't worry. What I mean is that prosody cannot be easily
compared across languages.

It's fairly easy to compare segmental overt marking (genitive, person
affixes), especially with the absence of segmental marking (juxtaposition).

In practical terms, Andrew and Irina will have to ignore prosody in
their definition of juxtaposition at this point, so for them
Västerbotten Swedish will count as juxtaposition.

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

Glottopedia - the free encyclopedia of linguistics
(http://www.glottopedia.org)